Social media promised a voice for the marginalised and powerless. Danah Boyd shows us how our voices – amplified – redefined power.
Wonderful links from points mentioned in our conversation, courtesy of Danah:
- Madeleine Elish / Moral Crumple Zones:
- Becca Lewis / Alternative Influence Network:
- Whitney Phillips / Oxygen of Amplification:
- Francesca Tripodi / Searching for Alternative Facts:
- Danah on Strategic Amplification:
- Data voids:
- Alex Rosenblat / Uberland:
- Adam Kalai / bias in gender search:
Here is Danah’s incredible RE:PUBLICA talk from May 2018. Trust me, you will not regret taking the 50 minutes to watch this.
And Richard Metzger’s funny, poignant and farseeing opening of DISINFOCON, back in February 2000: